Statistics: 15149 characters 2216 words
No. 8559*O, C. Kanaina (for Lunalilo), Honolulu, February 14, 1848
[This document will also be listed under 8559B for Lunalilo]
Greetings to you, the Land Commissioners: Because of the beneficial laws of the Hawaiian islands, therefore, I hereby state the claims for land of Wm. Lunalilo, together with mine. The division of the land has been completed, and I speak correctly to you. All the lands which are written in this document were given in perpetuity for my Ali`i, and with me also, from in the sea to the mountains. Everything pertaining to these lands is owned and restricted, the places which have been worked on, and all the kulas which are unused; we are the ones with the main right, and the commoners are second, and all the stone-walled ponds are for the two of us. At the right time, send for me for this work and I will be pleased to come before you to attend to this. Furthermore, there are trees which have been planted. At Pelekane in Lahaina, Maui, are four coconut trees and eight breadfruit trees. At Pakala in the place of Pikanele, in Lahaina, are some coconut trees, which have not been counted exactly. The right to the trees planted at Pelekane is for the two of us as M. Kekauluohi planted them, and they are for Wm. Lunalilo. The right to the trees planted at Pakala by Liliha was given to Wm. Lunalilo and continue in his possession at this time.
I am, with thanks,
The Lands of William Lunalilo
Name of the Land, Ahupuaa, District, Island
1. Kapulena, Ahupuaa, Hamakua, Hawaii
2. Kawela, Ahupuaa, Hamakua, Hawaii
3. Kukuihaele, Ahupuaa, Hamakua, Hawaii
4. Waikoekoe, Ahupuaa, Hamakua, Hawaii
5. Auau, Ahupuaa, Kohala, Hawaii
6. Makapala, Ahupuaa, Kohala, Hawaii
7. Kehena, Ahupuaa, Kohala, Hawaii
8. Puha Ili Iole, Ahupuaa, Kohala, Hawaii
9. Puako, Ahupuaa, Kohala, Hawaii
10. Keopuhuikahi, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
11. Honuinonui, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
12. Puapuanui, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
13. Lehuulanui, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
14. Kawanui, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
15. Lanihaunui, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
16. Papaakoko Ili Honokohau Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
17. Pakiniiki, Ahupuaa, Kona, Hawaii
18. Ninole, Ahupuaa, Kau, Hawaii
19. Honuapo, Ahupuaa, Kau, Hawaii
20. Kahaualea, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
21. Keahialaka, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
22. Kalapana, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
23. Keaau, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
24. Laepaoo, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
25. 2 Koae 1,2., Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
26. Laeapuki, Ahupuaa, Puna, Hawaii
27. Makahanaloa, Ahupuaa, Hilo, Hawaii
28. Pepekeo, Ahupuaa, Hilo, Hawaii
29. 1 Kaiwiki 2, Ahupuaa, Hilo, Hawaii
30. Kahuku, Ahupuaa, Hilo, Hawaii
31. Kaapahu, Ahupuaa, Kipahulu, Maui
32. Waiakoa, Ahupuaa, Kipahulu, Maui
33. Waiehu, Ahupuaa, Kipahulu, Maui
34. Ahikuli, Ili, Waiehu, Maui
35. Kalelena, Ili, Waiehu, Maui
36. Keokanui, Ili, Waiehu, Maui
37. Pohakunui, Ili, Waiehu, Maui
38. Kou, Ili, Waiehu, Maui
39. The forgotten /places?/ and all the bits of Waihee, Maui.
40. Peapee, Ili, Wailuku, Maui
41. Honolua, Ahupuaa, Kaanapali, Maui
42. Kalimaohe, Ahupuaa, Lahaina, Maui
43. Polanui, Ahupuaa, Lahaina, Maui
44. Kuholilea, Ahupuaa, Lahaina, Maui
45. Wainee, Ahupuaa, Lahaina, Maui
46. Mahana, Ahupuaa, Lanai, Lanai
47. Waialua, Ahupuaa, Kona, Molokai
48. Kawela, Ahupuaa, Kona, Molokai
49. Pau Ili, Waikiki, Ahupuaa, Kona, Oahu
50. Kamoku, Ahupuaa, Kona, Oahu
51. Kaluaokau, Ahupuaa, Kona, Oahu
52. Kapahulu, Ahupuaa, Kona, Oahu
53. Kaalaea, Ahupuaa, Koolaupoko, Oahu
54. Kapaka, Ahupuaa, Koolauloa, Oahu
55. 2 Laie 1,2,, Ahupuaa, Koolauloa, Oahu
56. Pahipahialua, Ahupuaa, Koolauloa, O ....
[End of Top Preview]
This document has been trimmed for your preview.
To view and download this record, add to your document tray by clicking on the button.
Add to Document Tray
[Start of Bottom Preview (1/3 of document)]
.... again touches Waialae where Kekio goes over Kapahulu and to the sea of Kapua to the coconuts of Kikii.
Mahana, sworn, I am a native born of Palolo. I have seen that place, Kaanaenui; it is for Kapahulu. I have known from infancy during the time of Kamehameha I to the present time that this place is for Kapahulu.
I have also known the boundaries of the land, Kekio, on the mauka direction of Mahakuna road, leading to the taro land of Kekio; makai of Makahuna road is Kapulu to the makai end of Leahi; the boundary below adjoining with Kahalalele is Kanewai and is also joining with Waialae. Kekio does not extend too [so?] far into the sea as indicated by Metcalf's survey.
Kauhapa, sworn, I am native born of Palolo and I have seen this place over which there is a dispute, exactly as the testimonies given by those witnesses above.
No. 8559, C. Kanaina. 23 September 1851
Palanalelo, sworn, I have seen this ili land Kamoku in Waikiki, Kona, 1 section.
Mauka, Pau ili land
Waialae, Nanaikala ili land
Makai, M. Kekuanaoa's land
Honolulu, Kamoku ili land, Kulei ili land.
Land from his wife, Kekauluohi, she had received it from the king's Mahele. This has been granted forever to C. Kanaina, no objections. I have seen Uma's interest in this land, this is C. Kanaina's place and the boundaries are:
Mauka, C. Kanaina's land
Waialae, Kauhane and Lolo's land
Makai, Aiananu ili
Honolulu, Kanaina's land.
I do not know the person who had given this place to Uma.
Uma, sworn, the statements above are true. There is dispute for the pasture and
the koele patch, these are all for C. Kanaina and are in my interest.
See page 125.
No. 8559, C. Kanaina (from page 50)
Polea, sworn, I have seen his single patch in Ilikahi, Kelawea and Paeohi of Lahaina, Maui.
Mauka by Keaweluaole's land, Kalena's land
Olowalu by Baldwin's land
Makai by Road
Kaanapali by S. Kalolou.
Land from Mrs. Hoapili in 1841, and with the exception of Keaweluaole and Kauhi, Kanaina has lived peacefully on this patch.
See their objections: Postponed until another witness is available. See page 191 and 184
No. 8559, C. Kanaina (from page 50, volume 10) from page 184
Explanation: Kaahauloanui an ahupuaa in Kona Hawaii is not for C. Kanaina, it is listed for Kanele in the Mahele registry of the Interior Department. Kaiuiki 1, ahupuaa in Hilo, Hawaii is listed for the government and Kaiuiki 2 is for C. Kanaina in the the Mahele land book of the Minister of Interior.
No. 8559, C. Kanaina, 23 December, 1854
Onoonokaia, sworn, I have seen this houselot in Paeohi, Lahaina, Maui.
[It is bounded]:
Mauka by "Puou," a land
Olowalu by Kalena's land, Keaka's land
Makai by Ukikilii's land
Kaanapali by Kamakini's land.
Land from Kaiahua in 1837. No objections.
Kaili, sworn, every statement above is true. I have known in the same way.
[Award 8559; (Oahu) R.P. 4497 Muliwai Manananui Ewa; 1 ap.; Iliaina; Paakea Waimalu; 1 ap.; Iliaina (Ap. 1); no. R.P. Kaieie Kalihi Kona, 1 ap.; Pamoa Manoa Kona, 1 ap.; Kuikuio & Kalehue Manoa Kona; 2 ap.; Kolowalu Manoa Kona; 1 ap.; (Maui) Paeohi Lahaina; 1 ap.; 1 Ac. 1 rood 12 rods; Ilikahi Lahaina; 1 ap. 97 rods; R.P. 8495, Keawaiki Lahaina; 1 ap.; 19 rods; R.P. 5647, Hoomanaana Lahaina; 1 ap.; 37 rods; R.P. 4497, Puaaloa Ukumehame Lahaina; 1 ap.; Iliaina; (Hawaii) R.P. 4497; Kapoho Puna; Kalamakumu Napoopoo Kona (A.C. Alexander 1906 map lists Ukumehame no. as 8559B to Kanaina]