Statistics: 24872 characters 4205 words
Moomuku Ili (4 Lele), Honokowai Ahupuaa, District of Kaanapali, Island of Maui, Boundary Commission, Maui, Volume 3, 1 of 2, pps 2-15
(Commissioner of Public Lands, No. 202)
Before the Commissioner of Boundaries in and for the Second Judicial Circuit, Territory of Hawaii.
In the Matter of the Application of Baldwin Packers, Limited, for a Certificate of Boundaries of the Four Leles of the Ili of Moomuku, in the Ahupuaa of Honokowai, District of Kaanapali, Island of Maui.
Commissioner: Daniel H. Case.
Under date of May 20th, 1925, the Baldwin Packers, Limited, a Hawaiian Corporation, filed its Petition alleging that, (except for several very small fractional interests owned or claimed by others) it was the owner of Leles numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Ili of Moomuku, in the Ahupuaa of Honokowai, in the District of Kaanapali, Island of Maui, Territory of Hawaii. and, on behalf of itself and others interested as owners, applied for a decision and certificate of the boundaries of said Leles in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 42 of the Revised Laws of Hawaii, 1925.
In this application the Petitioner states that the Ahupuaa of Honokowai, District of Kaanapali, was awarded, by, name only, to Kekauonohu, [Kekauonohi] by Land Commission Award No. 11216. Apana 28.
The applicant, in its petition, particularly, and at length, describes, by true bearings, the outer boundaries of the above named four Leles, stating what lands, if any, are included within each Lele; and also particularly, and at length, sets forth the several lands bounding and adjoining said Leles, and, to the best of applicant´s knowledge and belief, the names of the several owners thereof; applicant asking no determination as to the boundaries of kuleanas located within or partly within said Leles.
Maps were also attached to and submitted with the application, showing the location, natural topographical features, prominent and other marks along boundary lines, the bearings and distances of each course given in the description of survey, as well as certain data from field notes.
Applicant prays that a date and place for the hearing on its application be set, and that notice thereof, as required by law, be given to Petitioner, and others named as owners, as well as to the several owners of adjoining land, including kuleana owners and all others interested; and that the matter at issue be heard and determined and the boundaries of the four Leles in question be decided and certified to in accordance with the facts and the law applicable thereto.
Hearing on the foregoing application was set before the undersigned, as Commissioner of Boundaries for the Second Circuit, in the Court Room of the Circuit Court of the Second Judicial Circuit, at Wailuku, Maui, Territory of Hawaii, on Wednesday, June 24th, 1925, at 10:00 o´clock a.m. of said day.
Notices of said hearing, specifying the time and place thereof were published daily, in the English language, in the ´Honolulu Advertiser´, a newspaper published in the City and County of Honolulu; In the English language in the ´Maui News´, twice a week, a newspaper published in Wailuku, Maui; and in the Hawaiian language, in the ´Nupepa Kuakoa," published in the City and County of Honolulu.
Written or printed notices of said hearing, specifying the time and place thereof, and signed by the Commissioner, sent by registered mail, long prior to the date set for hearing said application, to the Petitioners to the Territory of Hawaii Chas. T. Bailey, as Commissioner of Public Lands, to the Roman Catholic Church, to the Pioneer Mill Company, Limited, as well as to each and every of those designated in the Petition as owners of surrounding and adjoining properties and kuleana owners.
At the time and place set for hearing said application, to wit: Wednesday June 24th, 1925, at 10:00 o´clock a.m., at the Court House in Wailuku, Maui, upon the written request of Petitioner, through its Counsel, there being no person present objecting thereto, hearing on the merits of said application was continued for the period of one week, to-wit: Wednesday, July 1st, 1925, at 10:00 a.m.
At the hearing had on Wednesday. July 1st, 1925, at 10:00 o´clock a.m., Mrs. Edith L. Sinclair acted for the Commissioner as stenographer; and the following proceedings were then and there had:
Commissioner: In the Matter of the Application of the Baldwin Packers, Limited, for a Certificate of Boundaries of the Four Leles of the Ili of Moomuku, in the Ahupuaa of Honokowai, Island of Maui the Commissioner is ready.
Mr. Vitousek: I believe this matter comes on, on the filing of a petition by the Baldwin Packers, Limited, and all others interested in the Ili of Moomuku. The hearing was set for June 24th, 1925, at 10:00 a.m., and, at that time, it was regularly and openly continued until today, at 10:00 a.m., July 1st, 1925, and then until 11:00 o´clock. I believe the record shows the proof of giving notice as required by statute. In this matter the Territory prepared a map, as I understand the original map and description, of course no title can be tried in these proceedings, it is a question of fixing the boundaries of these Leles. I note the original tracing carries with it survey of Mr. Monsarrat and Mr. Kahookele. Speaking to Mr. Kahookele, he says he remembers making the survey, and I believe there are no objections.
Commissioner: Is there any person present at this time interested as owners or lessor, or otherwise, in this matter of the boundaries referred to in this application, and who wishes to be heard in connection with the matter? Now is the time to speak if there are any objections to the prayer of the application.
Mr. Kahookele: I represent Mrs. Mary Kaleikai, one of the claimants in the Hui land of Moomuku.
Commissioner: Does she object to granting the petition, or take issue with the boundaries referred to?
Mr. Kahookele: That part I do not know as to the contents of the ....
[End of Top Preview]
This document has been trimmed for your preview.
To view and download this record, add to your document tray by clicking on the button.
Add to Document Tray
[End of Preview]
.... 4 feet to a pipe;
Thence along sea shore at high water mark, the direct azimuths and distances being:
20. 222° 10´ 857.9 feet to an iron pipe at the West corner of Land Commission Award4552;5 to Aumai;
21. 217° 43´ 360.4 feet along said L.C. Award to an iron pipe at the North corner of same;
22. 217° 26´ 382.7 feet to the point of beginning.
Total area 19 18/100 Acres
Included within this Lele are the following:
Land Commission Award4552:5 to Aumai 2.00
Land Commission Award3765:1 to Aio 0.55
School Lot (Sch.Gr.16:2) 1.00
Government Main Road .53 4 08/100
Leaving a net area of 15 10/100 Acres
Beginning at a pipe at the South corner of this lele, the East corner of Land Commission Award4923:2 to Kalua and on the West boundary of L. C. A. 4254:1 to Kaumauma, the co ordinates of said point of beginning referred to Government Survey Trig. Station ´Puu Kolii´ being 8989.7 feet North and 12,214.9 feet West, as shown on Government Survey Registered Map No. 2534, and running by true azimuths:
1. 115° 18´ 30" 301.5 feet along Land Commission Award4923:2 to Kalua to a pipe;
2. 204° 49´ 104.8 feet along L.C. A. 3926:3 to Nika to a pipe;
3. 237° 38´ 59.0 feet along Lot 3, Honokowai Government Remnants to & pipe;
4. 195° 45´ 60.7 feet along same and along Land Commission Award3847:2 to Puhi to a pipe;
5. 303° 55´ 287.7 feet along Land Commission Award4260:6 to Kaluaiuka to a pipe;
6. 37° 48´ 48.8 feet along same to a pipe;
7. 22 ° 06´ 123.8 feet along Land Commission Award4264:1 to Kaumauma to the point of beginning.
Area 1 29/100 Acres
Less Land Commission Award 4552:2 Aumai 32/100
Net area 0-97/100 Acres
Beginning at a + on rock at the Northwest corner of this lele and on the North edge of Onepeha Gulch, the co ordinates of said point of beginning referred to Government Survey Trig. Station "Puu Kolii" being 7062.1 feet North and 5904.8 feet West, as shown on Government Registered Map No. 2534, and running by true azimuths:
1. 274° 56´ 961.9 feet along the remaining portion of the ahupuaa of Honokowai to a + on
rock on the East side of road;
2. 284° 58´ 910.2 feet along same to a + on rock;
3. 20° 12´ 346.8 feet along same to a + on rock in Onepeha Gulch;
4. 92° 35´ 1608.6 feet down middle of Onepeha Gulch to a + on rock;
5. 142° 26´ 310.6 feet along same to a + on rock;
6. 19336´ 334.0 feet up gulch to the point of beginning.
Area 20 42/100 Acres.
Beginning at a + on rock on the West boundary of this lele, on the South side of old road and on the North edge of the Honokowai Gulch and about 700 feet above the Weir house, the co ordinates of said point of beginning referred to Government Survey Trig. Station "Puu Kolii" being 5211.6 feet North and 1884.5 feet West, as shown on Government Survey Registered Map No. 2534, and running by true azimuths:
1. 173° 25´ 30" 427.0 feet along the remaining portion of the ahupuaa of Honokowai to a
cross on rock;
2. 202° 10´ 184.4 feet along same to a + on rock on the South edge of Onepeha Gulch;
3. 273° 56´ 1003.8 feet along same to a + on rock in middle of Onepeha Gulch;
4. 294° 21´ 1926.4 feet along same to concrete post on spur at junction of Onepeha and
5. 284° 30´ 680.0 feet along same down into Nukunukuapuaa Gulch to junction of said
Gulch with Papanahoa Gulch;
6. 284° 30´ 770.0 feet along same up middle of Papanahoa Gulch;
7. 266° 00´ 530.0 feet along same up middle of Papanahoa Gulch;
8. 282° 54´ 792.2 feet along same to a concrete post on the top of the North bank of the
9. 296° 00´ 2971.1 feet along same to a 4 inch iron pipe on South edge of the Kaawaiki Gulch
at a place called Ualakiekie;
10. 17° 13´ 356.5 feet along West Maui Forest Reserve to a 4 inch galvanized pipe;
11. 56° 27´ 2073.2 feet along same and down Honokowai Gulch to a point on the North
bank of Honokowai Stream; Thence following along the North bank of Honokowai
Stream, the direct azimuths and distances being:
12. 117° 40´ 2005.3 feet;
13. 100° 20´ 1695.0 feet;
14. 143° 00´ 740.0 feet;
15. 82° 40´ 600.0 feet;
16. 117° 01´ 1663.2 feet to a + on rock;
17. 111° 58´ 173.8 feet to a + on rook;
18. 207° 00´ 49.4 feet along the remaining portion of the ahupuaa of Honokowai to a + on rock;
19. 141° 10´ 300.0 feet along same across Land Commission Award 3929 to Umi and along Land Commission Award6539:4 to Hoonoha; Land Commission Award 3852:4 to Pokole and Land Commission Award4257:2 to Kauluhua to a + on rock;
20. 180° 39´ 237.2 feet along Land Commission Award4257:2 to Kauluhua and along the remaining portion of the ahupuaa, of Honokowai to the point of beginning.
Total area 300 60/100 acres
Included within this Isle are the following L.C. Awards
3688:4 to Meeau, .85
3765:2 to Aio, .02
3851:1 to Napoobiwi. 2.32
3925 D:1 to Hualii, .24
3925 2:1 to KanaaIii, .16
3927:4 to Wakahalua, 2.81
3929 (portion) to Umi, .74
3987:4 to Holona, .23
3988:1 to Hilahila. .47
4241:1 & 2 to Kaluakini, .31
4248:3 to Kekalohe, .61
4249:4 to Kamaeui, .21
4552:4 to Aumai, .11
4793 B:2 & 3 to Hanuna, 1.18
4923:4 & 5 to Kalua, 1.84
5002:8 to Kahanaumaikai, 1.10
6601:1 & 6 to Piimoku, .58
6741:2 to Inoa, .82 14 60/100
Leaving a net area of 296 20/100 acres
Signed at Wailuku, Maui, Territory of Hawaii, December, 3d, 1925, as of July 1st, 1925.
D.H. Case, Commissioner of Boundaries for the Second Judicial Circuit of the Territory of Hawaii.
(For expenses incurred see over leaf) [not available on microfilm]
[No. 202, Moomuku Ili, Honokowai Ahupuaa, District of Kaanapali, Island of Maui, Lele 1, 19 18/100 acres; Lele 2, 1 29/100 acres; Lele 3, 20 42/100 acres; Lele 4, 300 60/100 acres, (total)322.69 Acres, 1925]